2022-23 Capital Area YMCA Preschool Teacher
Company: Capital Area YMCA
Posted on: August 4, 2022
The Teacher is responsible for the overall supervision and
education of a group of fifteen (15) children ages 3-5 years old in
state-contracted preschool classroom under the direction of the
Capital Area YMCA in partnership with the Trenton Board of
Education. The Teacher is the head of the teaching team, which
includes the Teacher Assistant, and is in charge of creating and
implementing lesson plans which support the Center's curriculum and
The Capital Area YMCA Preschool agrees to take reasonable steps
1. Ensure availability of adequate resources and incentives for the
creation and maintenance of an innovative and highly successful
2. Provide a constructive environment in which the Teacher can grow
3. Meet periodically on a schedule established by the Preschool to
accomplish said reasonable steps.
1. Supervise and insure the safety and well-being of the children
at all times;
2. Establish and maintain a clean, safe, and nurturing classroom
environment with age-appropriate learning materials that are
complimentary to the Center curriculum;
3. Prepare and post weekly lesson plans in conjunction with the
4. Submit weekly lessons plans electronically to the Director;
5. Arrange classroom according to Creative Curriculum standards
-post all required planning boards and charts (i.e. job charts,
daily schedule, pictures, etc.)
6. Assume equal share of the classroom housekeeping chores. Work as
partners with Teacher Assistant;
7. Keep classroom, storage closets, and bathroom clean, neat and
organized at all times;
8. Create and implement activities which address the needs of the
children individually and as a group;
9. Hold weekly team meetings with Teacher Assistant to address
needs or concerns of the classroom;
10. Create a classroom that reflects the cultural diversity of the
11. Be ECERS or ECERS-3 knowledgeable
12. Treat each child, co-worker and parent with dignity and
13. Attend all staff meetings, in-services, and any other required
meetings. Attend at least eight (8) hours of continuing education
workshops per school year;
14. Attend mandatory parent/teacher conferences twice a year.
Provide feedback and examples of children's work during
15. Attempt to develop a positive partnership with parents;
16. Perform other related duties as required.
The Director will assess the Teacher's performance in writing at
least once a year. In the assessment of the Teacher's performance,
the Director will compare the teacher's performance to the list of
duties and obligations in the Teacher's Job Description, and will
consider the following:
--- Director's personal observation of the Teacher in line with
--- Observations of the Teaching Liaison (TL)
--- Comments from parents, either verbally or in parent
--- Observation of the YMCA Management
New Employee Orientation and Prevention of Child Abuse and
Harassment Training, CPR and AED certification must be completed
within 20 days of employment.
Drug screening and Fingerprinting must be completed before
The Capital Area YMCA is an EEO Employer
We understand and mutually accept the above position description
represents our agreement as to the job to be performed.
1. Must possess a Bachelor's Degree or higher.
2. Must possess a NJ State Pre-K through 3rd grade (P-3) Standard
Teaching Certificate or Certificate of Eligibility (CE or
3. Must be at least 21 years of age or older and meet all State of
NJ Licensing requirements.
4. Must have the ability to work well with parents and others staff
5. Must have excellent oral and written skills.
6. Must possess good classroom management.
7. Must also be able to assess the individual needs of
8. Must maintain a neat and professional appearance at all
9. Must be able to communicate professionally with parents and
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y's values.
Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs.
Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working
relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different
backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport
and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other
person's point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations.
Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes
effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers
learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and
discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes
goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in
meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports
all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed
goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job
performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks
opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal
feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact
relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and
skills required to perform well; uses best practices and
demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
To protect the health and well-being of our children, and to
maintain the optimum classroom environment, the Teacher must be
able to do the following:
1. Pass the State required physical exam and TB test
2. Lift a child weighing at least forty (40) pounds
3. Sit on the floor with children
4. Take short walks around the neighborhood
5. Chaperone on all field trips
6. Be able to mentally exercise reasonable judgment involving
children's safety in potentially dangerous situations
7. Independently care for the appropriate number of children within
staff to child ratio for age group assigned.PI187523525
Keywords: Capital Area YMCA, Trenton , 2022-23 Capital Area YMCA Preschool Teacher, Education / Teaching , Trenton, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!