Associate Director, Business Intelligence
Company: Princeton University
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President, Data Strategy &
Innovation, the Associate Director, Business Intelligence is
responsible for directing and producing time-sensitive reporting
and analytical needs, addressing business questions through dynamic
and thoughtful business intelligence and contributing to the
effectiveness and efficiency of the daily operations of the
Advancement Office. In addition to supervising two Business
Intelligence Analysts, this position will report to the Assistant
Vice President, Data Strategy & Innovation and serve as a liaison
to other senior members of Data Strategy & Innovation; participate
in strategic policy development, and work to successfully execute
special projects in support of the University Fundraising
operation. The Office of Analytics & Data Management (ADM) plays a
critical strategic role within University Advancement, providing
the analytical framework, data architecture, application
development and tools for data-driven decision making at all levels
of the organization. Technical production
- Development and presentation of accurate, methodologically
rigorous analysis utilizing data visualization software (e.g.,
Tableau), Cognos, statistical packages (e.g., R) and other
appropriate technical applications.
- Oversee project management for business intelligence projects
and initiatives. Collaborate with the ADM Director to determine
strategy, priorities and assignments for departmental efforts.
Interact with senior members of the Development staff to initiate
and execute requests.
- Ensure a consistent look and feel, quality assurance and best
practices among analysts' products in alignment with business
- Work with business users to define desired outcomes and
business requirements of analyses, data visualization and other
reporting; conduct end user training in BI tools as needed.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in using advanced analytic and
database tools, internet resources Management
- Recruit, mentor and direct the development of business
intelligence analysts: including setting performance standards and
measures; providing appropriate levels of training, mentoring and
professional development; and fostering a strong sense of teamwork
and cross-functional communication and collaboration among direct
reports, the ADM staff and with other groups within Advancement and
the University. Policy & process improvement
- Identify critical process improvement areas for the Office and
collaborate in developing procedures and procedures for enhancing a
high level of customer service.
- Working with the ADM Director and as a liaison of Data Strategy
& Innovation to provide an effective and efficient business
intelligence structure and environment. Review and recommend use of
new technologies, vendor services and information sources. Keep
abreast of news and relevant industry trends in support of the
Office of Advancement.
- Working closely with data management team members, conceive of
and contribute to strategies and best practices in maintaining a
comprehensive, reliable, and innovative data environment.
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience in designing business intelligence solutions through
use of data visualization software required (Tableau preferred).
Aptitudes toward bringing together the art and science of data
visualization in order to uncover trends, realize insights, explore
sources, and tell stories. Analytical acumen necessary to interpret
and manage data.
- Experience with statistical programs, data mining, and
comprehensive analysis required.
- Five to ten years of professional experience required in an
analytical or information specialist role within an academic,
nonprofit, corporate or consulting setting.
- Proficiency at planning and setting meaningful objectives to
meet office goals. Ability to articulate and promote goals and
implement strategic plans.
- Strong interpersonal skills; as well as strong initiative and
self-motivation and the ability to work both independently and
manage teams within a customer-service oriented environment.
- Excellent written/oral/interpersonal communication skills in
order to: identify and articulate business challenges, project
objectives, and analytical approach.
- Organizational skills to handle several projects
simultaneously, accommodate shifting priorities, and meet
- Understanding of data warehousing and experience with ETL tools
(such as SyncSort DMX) preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in the Microsoft Office, in particular
thorough knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and handle sensitive
information and material in a discretionary manner.
- Understanding of philanthropy (mission, practice, trends) and
fundraising practices (the development cycle, prospect management
policies and practices) preferred.
- Commitment to University Advancement's mission to inform,
involve, and inspire Princeton's global community of alumni and
friends, and adhering to its guiding principles of High
Performance, Innovation, Civility, and Collaboration. Preferred
- Prior business or technical staff management experience in
delegating, planning and mentoring to ensure staff meet and exceed
- Knowledge of Princeton's mission
- Experience in higher education
- Advanced degree
- Experience with relational databases, data warehousing and data
extraction tools (such as SQL) Princeton University is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, national origin, disability status,
protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by
law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS 36.25
Keywords: Princeton University, Trenton , Associate Director, Business Intelligence, Executive , Princeton, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...