Assoc Director, Business Intelligence
Company: Princeton University
Posted on: September 18, 2023
The Associate Director, Business Intelligence will provide
strategic direction, leadership, and oversight for the management
and consumption of financial data throughout the University.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Finance Technology
within the Office of Finance & Treasury (F&T), this role will
define and implement F&T's reporting and analytics strategy and
enable capabilities that will deliver financial information in a
consumable manner to facilitate business decisions. This position
will require close collaboration with senior leadership in F&T,
the Office of Information Technology (OIT), the University Data
Office (UDO), and campus customers.
The successful candidate will manage the full system lifecycle of
financial reporting and analytics capabilities and will be
responsible for leading the modeling, quality, and delivery
mechanisms of financial data maintained by the University. The
individual will manage a team of business intelligence analysts
seeking opportunities to leverage data to increase operational
efficiency. The Associate Director will also partner with
collaborative groups of IT partners, data stewards, analysts, and
the UDO to implement a strategy for accessible integrated
cross-functional analytics balanced with data governance.
The Associate Director will be curious, keeping abreast of evolving
data analytics platforms, design, and presentation methods. The
individual must have strong project management and technical
skills; a person who is self-motivated and organized, highly
observant of and sensitive to the culture of the University and its
many constituencies, inherently collegial and service oriented, and
an excellent communicator.
The Office of Finance & Treasury actively searches for staff
members of exceptional ability and promise who share in Princeton
University's commitment to excellence, and who present a diversity
of viewpoints and cultures. We offer varied professional
opportunities spanning all aspects of financial management,
analysis, and processing in support of the teaching and research
mission. As part of the University community, we respect the
dignity and individuality of each member while trying to foster a
sense of shared experience and common purpose. We are unwavering in
our commitment to both diversity and community and embrace the
variety of talents, backgrounds, and perspectives of all our
Data Analytics Strategy and Execution
- Responsible for defining the University financial reporting and
analytics strategy and roadmap, and identifying future initiatives
that support our business analysis needs.
- Serve as a leader in driving and executing the data analytics
vision and evangelizing the power of data in the day-to-day
business processes for functional teams across the
- Collaborate with OIT in evaluating BI/Analytics tool
capabilities, newer functionalities and deploying version
- Design and maintain the architecture and tools to support the
financial data warehouse.
- Spearhead our data analytics program by leveraging IBM
Cognos/Tableau visualization capabilities; design integrated
dashboards combining various data families that provide a cohesive,
logical story and actionable insight to business owners and senior
- Partner with other administrative units across the University
to integrate financial data with non-financial data, incorporating
into an institutional data architecture to enable streamlined
access to information and easier reconciliation.
- Collaborate with the University Data Officer, data stewards,
and subject matter experts in creating data dictionaries and
role-based access models, and work with OIT to implement in a
modern data catalog and governance platforms.
- Collaborate with the UDO, data stewards, and analysts to
develop University-wide reporting standards, curriculum, training
guides and outreach programs for analytics adoption.
- Collaborate with DBA group in optimizing report/dashboard
performance and document technical best practices and
methodologies. Lead Business Intelligence Projects
- Lead projects to deliver new business intelligence
capabilities; develop the plan, objectives, timeline and
deliverables; manage resources, schedules, scope, issues, and
- Review and document use cases and requirements for
transactional reports, summary reports, analytics capabilities,
visualizations, and ad-hoc reporting.
- Plan and lead design, development, and testing for all
analytics and reporting impacts with the implementation of new
financial applications and integrating systems.
- Understand users' information delivery needs and functional
reporting requirements, translating them into technical
- Develop reporting design principles and development standards
for Finance & Treasury reporting and analytics capabilities, and
ensure consistent application. Contribute to the establishment of
- Establish repeatable process for report testing with an
emphasis on data quality.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of communication and
training in support of new reporting and analytics solutions.
- Act as the primary liaison between business leaders, functional
analysts, and application developers to clarify functional design
questions and implement standards for managing data.
- Provide guidance in developing ETL specifications, building
data integrations and ensuring financial reports produce consistent
and accurate information across financial systems. Team Leadership
- Lead a team of business intelligence analysts through the
planning, design, and delivery of data, insights, and reporting
solutions. Provide supervision, mentoring, and honing performance
to maximize the team's impact.
- Institute daily processes to monitor, investigate and reconcile
data integrity and data quality between PeopleSoft ERP, other
financial systems and the data warehouse.
- Lead the Finance & Treasury Data Analysis Community of Practice
to enhance data literacy and data storytelling skills across the
division. Contribute to university-wide data analysis collaboration
- Seek opportunities to create and automate repeatable analyses
or build streamlined data flows for business leaders.
- Continuously improve data analytics and insights capabilities
and spreading that knowledge and expertise throughout the
- Stay abreast of leading practices in data analytics emerging
technologies, business, and market trends to support the
implementation of innovative solutions (e.g., AI, predictive
- Manage production support activities and the investigation of
defects and enhancement requests; lead resolution of Information
Warehouse reporting issues; recommend solutions.
- 10+ years of progressive technical leadership experience in
analytics, business intelligence, reporting, or similar
data-related functions in an enterprise environment.
- Strong conceptual and technical understanding of, Data
Warehousing and the development of reporting and self-service
- 10+ years of experience generating analytical insights to drive
business actions, including proficiency with programming / database
querying tools (Oracle, SQL, Python, etc.) and reporting/data
visualization tools (IBM Cognos Analytics, Tableau, etc.) is
- 7+ years staff management experience including demonstrated
ability to effectively lead and mentor individuals with diverse
- Excellent project management experience with planning, problem
solving and organization development skills, demonstrated by a
record of successful major project and process management
- Demonstrated ability to multitask between leadership, projects,
operations, and support.
- Self-starter and be able to handle multiple tasks and
priorities in a matrix organization.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, communication skills, and the
ability to engage effectively with a diverse constituent base
including cross-functional teams and senior leadership.
- Data analysis experience with financial data
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Engineering, Mathematics or
Computer Science, or equivalent work experience. Preferred
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials
- Experience in Oracle EPM suite of products including
- Familiarity with cloud-based data architecture and analytics
platforms Infrastructure (OCI)
- Experience with financial management, procurement, sponsored
research and budgeting processes in a Higher Education setting
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS
Keywords: Princeton University, Trenton , Assoc Director, Business Intelligence, Executive , Princeton, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!