Custodial QA, Training & Development Manager
Company: Princeton University
Posted on: November 18, 2023
Overview:This multi-faceted Manager position is part of and is
an integral member to the Building Services Department by being
responsible for the short and long-term implementation of various
aspects of Quality Assurance, Safety, Equipment Maintenance,
Training, and Development programs for Building Services. As a key
member of the leadership team reporting to the Director for
Building Services, the Quality Assurance, Training & Development
Manager plans and organizes by working in a collaborative approach
with the department leadership team. Managerial responsibilities
include providing direct supervision of an Administrative support
team of approximately three (3) employees and vendor oversight for
all Building Services equipment maintenance. The Manager will
foster a culture that incorporates the core values of Facilities
(teamwork, innovation, integrity, inclusiveness, respect, and
sustainability) and places high value on customer service,
workplace safety, and the use of technology to support the
department and campus mission. The incumbent also maintains strong
communication and relationships with campus peers and partners,
tailoring the operational resources and process to meet and exceed
customer expectations. The incumbent represents the Building
Services Department on University Committees and acts as a
representative in the absence of senior management. Department
Summary:As part of the Universitys Facilities Operations, the staff
in Building Services has a daily presence in every building on
Princetons campus, and is responsible for cleaning, moving,
logistical support of campus events, and running the surplus
program, including several warehouse complexes for rental
equipment, documents storage, surplus items and a few important
artifacts managed by Building Services. We also maintain or inspect
student laundromats, campus fire extinguishers, and the University
waste and recycling stream. Our teams clean over 10,000,000 square
feet daily, deliver, set up, and take down over 125,000 pieces of
rental equipment each year, manage nearly 100,000 square feet of
warehouse space, and remove over 5,000 tons of waste and recycling
each year. Responsibilities:Quality Assurance
- Responsible for the Quality Assurance Program within the
Department of Building Services to include training and development
- Review, track, and trend data to assist with training and
- Utilize data to develop and lead action plans to improve
quality of services and standards lead a culture of Continuous
- Provide management with results and data as they relate to
quality assurance and safety assessments for each area.
- Organize employee training /retraining sessions based on data
- Assess and improve service and quality in conjunction with
- Analyze department data to establish universal standards and
- Partner with the leadership team to ensure staff follows
recommended/approved/agreed practices for all work-related tasks
and maintains proper quality.
- Actively participate in external professional
meetings/activities/career development and seminars, etc. to ensure
industry knowledge of best practices and procedures.
- Consistently seek ways to improve efficiency, service quality,
and reduction of environmental impact in all aspects of Building
- Develop and chair a Building Services Department QA Steering
- Show our core value of Innovation in support of the department,
encouraging creativity, sharing valued remarks, and demonstrating
perseverance with recommendations to management.
- Show our core value of Respect when representing the university
or department during campus activities, customer service, or other
topics of general interest to the public or University
Community.Training and Development
- Responsible for the training and development of all staff to
ensure employees are safe and customer expectations are met or
- Responsible for the New Employee Orientation Program and all
mandatory training/development or informational sessions.
- Review reports to identify and create training opportunities
- Responsible for the development and coordination of appropriate
training and development sessions.
- Responsible for the timely compilation and submittal of
Department required reports and documentation follow-up.
- Partner with operational management to conduct and assess
quality control inspections and results.
- Ensure personnel records reflect all aspects of training and
development individually achieved and /or participated in.
- Model our core value of Teamwork by developing internal and
external partnerships to better accomplish goals; maintain good
working relationships with co-workers, superiors, and the
- Demonstrate our core value of Inclusiveness by representing
strong employee morale and cultivating a culture of inclusion,
fairness, and effective leadership while embracing diversity in
recruitment and talent retention efforts.
- Model our core value of Sustainability while performing work
duties such as waste removal, product usage, and interacting with
the campus community to encourage good recycling habits. Safety
- Coordinate with Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) in
conducting safety assessments to ensure that Building Services
staff are meeting safety expectations. Document any issues and make
recommendations for improvement.
- Develop and distribute weekly Safety Briefs for team Safety
- Develop and maintain EHS plans, such as Hazard Communication
and Bloodborne Pathogen Control plans.
- Maintain and update the Campus-wide Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
manuals for the Building Services Department.
- Practice our core value of Integrity by performing job duties
in accordance with University and departmental policies and
procedures, professional standards and practices, and in accordance
with relevant laws, regulations, and practices.
- Responsible for the coordination of safety and quality systems
within the department, such as Staffing Analysis, Safety, and
- Responsible for the Safety and Quality Assurance Program
including all training and development of all Custodial
staff.Equipment Maintenance Management
- Oversight responsibility for the Preventive Maintenance program
of all equipment within Building Services.
- Oversee and manage vendor contract for equipment repairs and
- Ensure all relevant information/documentation is updated
appropriately within the Maximo Computerized Maintenance Management
- Assess equipment condition and repair history to make
recommendations for replacement.Qualifications:Minimum
- Associates degree and a minimum of five years experience in a
custodial environment, or an equivalent combination of education
- Previous experience and demonstrated ability to provide
effective leadership within a commercial/institutional facilities
- Previous experience and demonstrated ability to effectively
train staff within a commercial/institutional facilities management
environment. Ability to create a positive learning environment and
develop ongoing training for new and existing staff.
- Work independently within established Departmental / Division
- Exercise considerable initiative, good judgment and diplomacy
in resolving issues with Departmental guidelines. Consult with
Director regarding unusual circumstances or problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to achieve progress on multiple tasks and multifaceted
areas of responsibility.
- Highly developed analytical skills with ability to analyze and
process data / statistics.
- Fundamental knowledge of Microsoft programs such as Outlook,
Word, and Excel.
- Ability to influence, direct and guide others in order to gain
their loyal cooperation in the accomplishments of an
- Demonstrated ability to work in a culturally diverse
environment with flexibility and composure.
- Experience in customer service related business.
- Need creative and effective problem-solving skills.
- Experience and knowledge of equipment and methods used in the
Building Services field.
- Must have a valid drivers license, required by Risk Management,
to drive a University golf cart/scooter.
- Must be able to work weekends and after hours.
- Must be able to frequently lift and maneuver up to 50 pounds
and occasionally up to 100 pounds.Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelors Degree
- Experience in a higher education custodial environment is
preferred.NOTE: All Facilities employees are core essential
employees and are expected to be available to work as directed by
the department during emergencies and certain campus events.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS Standard Weekly
Hours:36.25Eligible for Overtime:NoBenefits
Eligible:YesProbationary Period:180 daysEssential Services
Personnel (see policy for detail):YesPhysical Capacity Exam
Required:NoValid Drivers License Required:No Experience
Keywords: Princeton University, Trenton , Custodial QA, Training & Development Manager, Executive , Princeton, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!