Chief of Staff Doctor
Posted on: November 19, 2021
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKSThe ratio of time spent on
leadership duties and practicing veterinarian responsibilities will
vary depending on the hospital situation; the Chief of Staff must
use good judgment in prioritizing their duties on any given day,
ensuring hospital productivity. On average, the ratio is expected
to be about 20%-30% leadership duties and 70%-80% veterinarian
Leadership Responsibilities (approximately 20-30% of time):
- Live and exemplify the Five Principles of Mars, Inc. within
self and team.
- Partner with the Practice Manager (if applicable) to manage the
hospital as role models and champions of the Banfield brand to
provide consistent high quality care and exceptional service to the
most pets and clients and to maximize efficiency, productivity and
profitability. Train the team on Banfield guidelines and practices
and supervise associates to ensure compliance.
- Oversee and train associates on professional, efficient and
exceptional client service (lead by example), to include client
education about Optimum Wellness Plans, preventive care, pet health
needs, hospital services, marketing campaigns, and other related
information; effectively resolve client issues.
- Follow all Banfield protocols and practices and be responsible
for ensuring that associates achieve practice priorities while
building our culture and brand.
- Identify potential "bottlenecks" and formulate solutions to
remove barriers in medical operations that would impede the doctors
from providing world class care.
- Partner with the Medical Director, Field Director, and Practice
Manager (if applicable) to interview, select, train, develop,
coach, mentor and, if necessary, discipline and terminate hospital
- Direct, lead and mentor Associate Veterinarians to realize
their full professional potential and deliver outstanding, high
quality medical care, client service and business results.
- Work with the Medical Director to establish development plans
(PDPs) for the Associate Veterinarians, and focus teams to deliver
the practice priorities and exceed goals while building our culture
- Effectively create and maintain veterinarians' schedules and
work with Practice Manager to schedule associates to meet client
needs according to Banfield guidelines, while proactively planning
time off and CE scheduling.
- Provide effective communication between associates, clients,
field leadership and Central Team Support.
- Act as communications liaison, including holding routine
hospital team meetings, sharing business information and messaging
to all hospital associates, ensuring they remain informed, engaged
and have opportunities to provide feedback.
- Provide inspirational leadership to the team by creating a
positive professional relationship with the Practice Manager,
PetSmart associates, adoption center agencies, clients, field
leadership and Central Team Support.
- Create a collaborative environment and develop an efficient,
productive hospital team that provides the highest quality care and
service to the most pets and clients.
- Develop annual planning, budgeting and hospital productivity
levels for the hospital in partnership with the Practice Manager
(if applicable), Field Director and Medical Director.
- Partner with area Field Director and Medical Director to
execute market objectives, goals, strategies and measurements
- Participate in market level teams, discussions, and
- Partner with the Practice Manager to deliver outstanding
financial results for assigned hospital.
- Responsible for the development of technical, medical skills
for veterinary assistants/technicians.
- Responsible for ensuring all associates adhere to Banfield
dress and grooming guidelines.
- Provide leadership to other area hospitals as needed throughout
- Ensure compliance with all practice policies and procedures and
with all local, state and federal laws. Other job duties as
assigned.Associate Veterinarian Responsibilities (70-80% of
- Establish trust and gain the confidence and compliance of
clients through effectively delivering appropriate preventive care,
performing complete diagnostic workups, developing thorough
treatment plans, communicating home care instructions, and planning
- Assimilate information gathered through effective history
taking, physical examination and diagnostic workup to arrive at an
appropriate and effective clinical decision.
- Practice evidence-based medicine and preventive care when data
or guidelines exist, using sound judgment when they do not.
- Practice veterinary medicine in a manner compliant with the
State Veterinary Practice Act, Federal and/or State Controlled
Substance laws and Banfield Code of Ethics, along with appropriate
medical record documentation; ensure the hospital team maintains
complete medical records that meet practice quality control
- Lead the veterinary hospital team through the daily schedule
and caseload, delegating tasks to paraprofessionals and improving
- Provide professional, efficient and exceptional service,
including prescribing and administering preventive care for the
wellness needs of pets as well as diagnosing and treating diseases
and injuries of pets.
- Advocate for preventive care and adoption of wellness
- Effectively communicate diagnosis and treatment plan to
veterinary medical team and client.
- Prescribe and administer drugs and vaccines as
- Perform surgery on pets as necessary for the treatment of pets
within Banfield's protocols, using standard medical instruments and
- Promote the safety of pets, clients and associates by ensuring
the hospital team is utilizing safe restraining techniques,
following standard practice guidelines, and maintaining clean,
sterile and organized treatment areas, exam rooms and laboratory
- Strive to achieve performance metrics outlined by medical and
- Demonstrate integrity and ethics in all actions and
- Address and resolve client concerns arising from the medical
care of a pet.
- Develop strong lasting relationships with clients.
- Other job duties as assigned. THE FIVE PRINCIPLES
- Quality - The consumer is our boss, quality is our work and
value for money is our goal.
- Responsibility - As individuals, we demand total responsibility
from ourselves; as associates, we support the responsibility of
- Mutuality - A mutual benefit is a shared benefit; a shared
benefit will endure.
- Efficiency - We use resources to the full, waste nothing and do
only what we can do best.
- Freedom - We need freedom to shape our future; we need profit
to remain free.HIRING QUALIFICATIONS / COMPETENCIES
- Conflict Management
- Customer Focus
- Developing Direct Reports
- Directing Others
- Building Effective TeamsFunctional
- Hiring and Staffing
- Communication Skills
- Managing and Measuring work
- Peer Relationships
- Drive for ResultsCAPABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE (CAN DO)
- Ability to multi-task - Manages multiple tasks at one time;
quickly and accurately shifts attention among multiple tasks under
distracting conditions without loss of accuracy or appearance of
- Organizational ability - Demonstrates a systematic approach in
carrying out assignments. Is very orderly and excels at cutting
through confusion and turning chaos into order.
- Surgical skills - Proven ability to perform all basic
surgeries, including use of all standard medical instruments and
- Problem solving skills - Demonstrates a strong ability to
identify, analyze and solve problems. Translates problems into
- Intellectual ability - Accurately and consistently follows
instructions delivered in an oral, written or diagram format. Can
provide directions. Commitment to continual learning.
- Mathematical ability - Ability to add, subtract, multiply and
divide, and to compute rate, ratio and percent; ability to convert
units of measurement.
- Computer skills - Comfortably and confidently uses a computer
and specialized software.ATTITUDES (WILL DO)
- Initiative - Shows willingness and aptitude to use own
discretion in taking appropriate steps in finding solutions to
problems; presents options and ideas to enhance current processes
or procedures. Takes on additional responsibility when both big and
small tasks need to be done; seeks out the most valuable work to do
during times when the hospital faces low client demand.
- Integrity - Firmly adheres to the values and ethics of Banfield
Pet Hospitals. Exhibits honesty, discretion, and sound
- Cooperativeness - Willing to work with others, collaborating
and compromising where necessary; promptly shares relevant
information with others.
- Flexibility - Is open to changing situations and opportunities
and is willing to perform all tasks assigned.
- Independence - Able and willing to perform tasks and duties
- Tolerance for Stress / Resiliency - Maintains a positive "can
do" outlook, rebounds quickly from frustrations and unpleasantness,
and maintains composure and friendly demeanor while dealing with
stressful situations...... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Banfield, Trenton , Chief of Staff Doctor, Healthcare , Bridgewater, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!