Senior Medical Science Liaison
Company: Terumo Medical Corporation
Posted on: January 16, 2022
The Sr. Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a trusted scientific
partner and medical expert who provides strategic support and
medical scientific expertise to healthcare providers as well as
internal teams. Within assigned therapeutic areas, the Sr. MSL will
provide product and scientific support for the organization that
includes Medical Affairs, Clinical Operations, Sales, Marketing,
Regulatory Affairs, to ensure maximum exchange of information and
insights. The Sr. MSL is responsible for providing fair balanced,
objective, scientific information, and education, both internally
and externally. The Sr. MSL is focused on engagement with customers
and Key Opinion Leaders (KOL) increasing awareness, assisting in
matters that are complex, and exchanging scientific dialogue.
Within an assigned therapeutic area, provide support in the
1. Medical affairs strategy:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the
appropriate medical affairs strategy by providing medical
scientific expertise Contribute to organizing advisory
boards/expert panels to improve scientific knowledge, identify
unmet needs and cover potential scientific gaps.
2. Medical affairs & scientific expertise:
- Be the medical affairs and disease point of reference to internal
and external stakeholders.
- Build relationships and demonstrate the clinical outcome and
benefits of company products to Key Opinion Leaders (KOL), medical
groups and health systems.
- Meet with local and regional thought leaders as frequently as is
- Drive the analysis of clinical trial data, prepare and report
trial results at scientific meetings.
- Respond to unsolicited inquiries to establish and/or further the
knowledge and understanding of marketed products and related
Make objective, fair balanced scientific presentations to external
health care provider requestors and internal business partners.
Conduct all activities in accordance with current regulatory and
health care compliance guidelines.
- Provide high-level research support & investigator-initiated
Stay abreast of current scientific and treatment landscape trends
in therapeutic areas of interest.
Conduct ongoing dialogue with customers to understand KOL
Conduct scientific exchange with institutional HCPs.
Provide medical support to Professional and Clinical Education
Respond to unsolicited scientific inquiries of Health Care
Providers (HCPs)/investigators/health care systems/academic medical
centers and population health decision makers integrating
scientific data including real world evidence into real life
practice to meet customer needs.
Gather and report medical insights during interactions with health
Present data and information in a manner appropriate to the
audience and request.
Actively participate in journal, and book clubs including
scientific discussions on team calls.
Regularly share scientific news and findings with team.
Attend scientific conferences to gather and understand new
scientific information relevant to the company and the external
Actively listen for and routinely documents and shares and medical
3. Scientific communication:
- Execute the development and implementation of the appropriate
publication strategy in line with business objectives.
- Maintain a comprehensive and current knowledge of a therapeutic
area (collection, evaluation and managing of scientific data) and
drive the distribution of scientific information to respective
- Prepare literature for new products and revising existing
- Assist clinicians in the preparation of scientific publications
- Provide support in formulation of disease specific training &
- Write and maintain files on informative journal abstracts
according to current or estimated future needs.
Execute KOL management programs through advisory boards, expert
panels and customer facing interactions.
Provide regional and local support to enhance sales training
initiatives and improve competencies of field personnel in
partnership with Sales Learning and Development.
6. Marketing department collaboration:
- Provide the medical and scientific expertise in the creation of
promotional material events (e.g. product launch) and other
activities such as tender business.
- Lead literature review within a therapeutic area and translate
evidence into comprehensive materials for marketing groups.
- Review marketing materials for scientific accuracy.
- Present scientific evidence at marketing events.
- Develop and maintain a medical plan that corelates with marketing
and business plan.
7. Clinical development planning:
- Contribute to the development of study designs, by being
responsible for specific sections of the Clinical Investigational
Plan (background and rationale of the study, selection of the
endpoints, selection of in-and exclusion criteria, patient
population and risk section).
- Evaluate scientific soundness of investigator-initiated trial
proposals so that the BU can take an informed decision.
- Contribute to implementation of clinical protocols and perform
writing of final study reports.
8. Clinical operational activities:
- Support trial study start-up phases (support in writing study
protocol, identification of investigators and KOLs, CRF review,
Investigator brochure review, FDA/CA & IRB/EC assistance, support
on medical and scientific questions/issues during trial follow-up
- Review CEC/DMC/Clinical trial reports.
- Provide medical-clinical trial support to sites/investigators
that are participating in the clinical research and participate in
investigator launch meetings.
9. Regulatory activities partnership:
- Work with regulatory affairs to ensure that all written documents
are scientifically accurate and in compliance with applicable
- Support marketing authorization applications (reimbursement of
- Perform clinical evaluations.
- Assist QS and engineering department in creation of risk
management documents and IFU review.
- Participate "subject matter expert" tasks to assure compliance
with Terumo's Quality System.
- Coordinate and provide reporting information for reports
submitted to regulatory agencies.
10. Perform all administrative requirements in a timely, accurate
and compliant manner to include expense reports, documentation of
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. This position can be an office based or remote position. Must be
able to work in office environment and in the field and requires up
to 50% travel is required, including International trips. This role
will combine both remote and in person communication with external
and internal stakeholders so travel of up to 50 % is required
2. Daily entry to hospitals and other medical facilities is
required. Many facilities have instituted vendor credentialing
policies which require vendors to meet defined training, background
check and proof of immunization requirements as a condition of
entry. Terumo Associates entering these facilities are required to
abide by these credentialing requirements.
3. Must be able to gain access to and work in the IR suite, cath
lab and operating room. Entry into these areas requires an ability
to wear appropriate gowning, stand for long periods of time, comply
with hospital policy/protocol and be aware of potential biohazards
such as blood borne pathogens.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
Strong Scientific Acumen: In-depth scientific and/or therapeutic
knowledge and experience in the assigned therapeutic area.
Excellent Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
Ability to build strong relationships with relevant stakeholders,
academic opinion leader.
Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
Ability to calculate the impact of actions or words and tailor
Ability to anticipate the responses of various individuals and
teams based on their vantage point and perspective.
Capacity to execute research initiatives and act as liaison between
investigators and medical affairs.
- Advanced Degree ((Ph.D., MD, Sc.D, MA/MS or MPH) in a
medical/biomedical/scientific discipline with a minimum of 3 years
of scientific experience; OR Bachelor's Degree, preferably in life
sciences with 7 years of relevant work experience; OR equivalent
combination of education, training and experience.
Must have some research and health care system knowledge.
Keywords: Terumo Medical Corporation, Trenton , Senior Medical Science Liaison, Healthcare , Somerset, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!