Systems Administrator & IT Support
Company: Princeton University
Posted on: March 19, 2023
OverviewThe Systems Administrator provides software and hardware
support to faculty, researchers, staff, and students in the
Department of Physics and the Princeton Center for Theoretical
Science (PCTS) at Princeton University.
The Systems Administrator must have strong experience with a
variety of technology including workstation and server
administration and maintenance. The position requires the ability
to install, configure and troubleshoot a variety of desktop,
networking, and information access tools in a heterogeneous
environment. Initiative, excellent organizational and interpersonal
skills, ability to work independently and manage multiple
priorities simultaneously are essential.Responsibilities
Technology Support within the department
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues with computers and mobile
devices, including diagnosing of hardware, software, and operating
- Setup, deploy, maintain, and support computer equipment and
software for staff, faculty, research, and teaching labs.
- Support and troubleshoot AV issues in all learning spaces used
by Physics department members.
- Control and monitor access to departmental resources such as
Listserv and Central File Server
- Maintain and develop department's Drupal, WordPress and cPanel
- Support and troubleshoot internal PHP/MySQL apps used for
purchasing, events, stockroom, announcements, etc. as well as Linux
and Windows-based Virtual Machines hosting specialized software and
- Work with Research Computing to handle Physics needs for
computational cluster and storage server usage.
- Maintain knowledge and proficiency in the current University
infrastructure systems, such as Active Directory, Network Attached
Storage, communication, collaboration and encryption tools and
applications (including MS Office, SharePoint, Teams, OneDrive,
Google Apps, Zoom, etc.)
- Support specialized scientific software such as LabVIEW,
TeX/LaTeX, Solidworks, Mathematica, Matlab, Git, Access, SQL, and
other relational databases.
- Maintain familiarity with teaching and learning applications
and tools, such as Canvas.
- Respond to, document, and resolve customer support requests in
ServiceNow and other ticketing systems.
- Monitor and facilitate asset life-cycle management for faculty
and staff computing needs.
- Maintain and administer departmental device loaner
- Review and monitor Code42 file backups.
- Provide staff training where needed and give technology related
presentations to Physics members.
- Regularly update management on current job requests and project
- When provided access to personal, proprietary and/or otherwise
confidential data, maintain information in the strictest of
confidence and follow procedure to ensure the privacy, security,
and proper use of the data.
- Stay current with new technology and attend training sessions
- Participate in the testing of new, upgraded or demo systems and
services prior to those systems/services going into production;
provide timely reports on testing results and/or related
Special Projects / Functions
- Work on special IT projects as assigned.
- Assist with special events hosted by the Physics department and
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- A commitment to professional and courteous customer
- A minimum of 5 years' experience providing tier-2 and tier-3
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication
skills, and the ability to prioritize in a fast-paced, high-volume
- Must be innovative and can work collaboratively and
- In-depth knowledge of Windows, Linux and Mac computers and OS,
and mobile devices.
- Two years' experience working with Linux (RHEL) and Windows
- Solid understanding of and experience supporting Active
- Intermediate level experience with PHP/MySQL.
- Network protocols including TCP/IP, DNS and DHCP.
- Experience with and the ability to setup and resolve issues
with various email clients (Outlook, MacMail, Thunderbird, and
Gmail) on computers and mobile devices.
- In-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office, printing, and
- Ability and interest to keep up to date with the latest trends
in personal computing and mobile technology and recommend
- Willingness to work toward mastery of new technologies and
skills as campus IT needs or the University/OIT direction
- Ability to lift 25 to 50 lbs. (e.g., computer equipment).
- Familiarity with Princeton University systems.
- A+, MCP, MCSE, Apple and/or MCSA certifications.
- Linux Administration certification.
- VMware vSphere environment familiarity.
- Fundamentals of programming in one of the following:
- Previous experience as an Apple Genius, or similar, supporting
a macOS environment.
- Experience providing technology support for a mid- or
- Experience with Jamf, Intune, ServiceNow, Bomgar, and/or
- Previous experience providing support in an academic/research
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as VBScript, PowerShell,
Perl, bash, Apple Script.
- Knowledge of MS SQL for queries and reporting.
- Familiarity with conference room audio-visual equipment.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration
for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin,
disability status, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. KNOW YOUR RIGHTS PI208272459
Keywords: Princeton University, Trenton , Systems Administrator & IT Support, Other , Princeton, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...